It is OK for men to use Nair as long as they use the men’s line and take a few precautions before using it to remove hair in their private parts
It is OK for men to use Nair as long as they use the men’s line and take a few precautions before using it to remove hair in their private parts.
What is Nair?
Nair is a brand of depilatory cream that contains chemicals designed to temporarily remove unwanted hair on the face and body.
Depilatories work by removing hair just below the skin surface, meaning they only remove hair from the exterior and not beneath the skin or the hair root.
The active ingredients of Nair include:
- Calcium or potassium thioglycolate
- Calcium, potassium or sodium hydroxide
Nair also contains:
- Perfume or fragrance
- Calcium carbonate
- Cetyl alcohol
- Sodium lauryl sulfate
- Sodium silicate solution
- Baby oil
- Almond oil
- Aloe vera
How does Nair work?
In order to understand how Nair works, it is important to first understand hair structure. Each strand of hair is made from a protein called keratin. Keratin fibers are twisted together and held by chemical bonds.
Chemicals in Nair and similar hair removal creams make the hair swell and break open these bonds. This helps the thioglycolate salts penetrate the hair and break down the sulfur bonds holding the fibers together. Once the bonds are broken, the hair dissolves and can be wiped away. Nair also acts as an exfoliant, removing dead cells on the surface of the skin.
Nair typically works in about 3-10 minutes. Apply the product with a spatula, wait for the recommended amount of time, then wipe or wash the area with water.
How can men use Nair?
Before using the cream for hair removal, do a patch test skin to check if you are allergic to the product. If the product causes itching, burning, or other symptoms of an allergic reaction, stop using the product immediately.
- Apply a tiny amount of the cream to the test area.
- Leave it on your skin for the time mentioned on the label or until your skin starts to burn or sting.
- Rinse it off immediately and thoroughly as soon as the time is up or at the first sign of burning or stinging.
- If you experience burning or stinging, avoid using the product. Find another depilatory to test.
- If you do not experience any reactions within 24 hours of applying the product, you can use the product in the desired area.
To avoid unwanted reactions and get desired results, here are a few tips:
- Trim hair before applying the cream
- Wet the area with water
- Apply a generous layer of cream to the area
- Leave the cream for the recommended time
- Remove the cream with a spatula, damp washcloth, or sponge
- Apply a moisturizer afterwards to hydrate the skin
- Follow instructions carefully
Is it safe for men to use hair removal cream?
Yes, it is completely safe for men to use hair removal cream. However, keep in mind the following:
- Never use harsh cream in sensitive areas.
- Check to make sure there are no wounds or injuries on the skin.
- Stop using Nair if you experience the following reactions:
Medically Reviewed on 4/13/2022
WebMD. What to Know About Depilatory Creams. https://www.webmd.com/beauty/what-to-know-depilatory-creams
Nair. Men’s Nair™ Hair Removal Products. https://www.naircare.com/en/men
American Academy of Dermatology. 7 Ways to Remove Unwanted Hair. https://www.aad.org/public/everyday-care/skin-care-basics/hair/remove-unwanted-hair
American Chemical Society. How Hair Removers Get Rid of Unwanted Fuzz. https://inchemistry.acs.org/atomic-news/hair-removers.html